Plastic surgery is a method of surgery that works with repair and reconstruction of deformities and tissues in the body and correction of various functional parts of the body. The secondary aim of plastic surgery includes improvement of the appearance of the body and increase the level of self-esteem. Ensure that you are having a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon to carry out this medical procedure. Check with the relevant body of plastic surgeons in Canada to be certain of their qualifications level.
Importance of Plastic Surgery
People relate this procedure with alteration of the body tissues to get the desired appearance on the body. However, there is more to the surgery as stated below:
• It is used to correct the significant congenital defects for proper bodily functions- conditions such as cleft palate/lip, webbed fingers, and abnormally shaped head present at birth are corrected using plastic surgery.
• After cancer treatment – the doctors remove the infected tissues during treatment of cancer. After the treatment, a surgeon may perform different types of surgeries to restore the areas damaged mostly on the breasts or face.
• Treatment of extensive burns and other accidents- accidents such as fire can leave your skin damaged leaving plastic surgery as the only alternative. Animal bites and fractures that break the skin require surgery to improve appearance.
Performing the Surgery
A skin graft was the most common way of performing corrective surgery, but it has expanded to include other procedures such as the flap surgery and tissue expansion.
• Skin graft – this involves removal of healthy skin from unaffected areas mostly from the thighs, buttocks, and upper arm. The surgeons then use the healthy skin to cover the damaged skin.
• Flap surgery – plastic surgeons transfer living tissues from a certain part of the body to another together with the live blood vessels. The skin remains partially attached to the body before the plastic surgeons reposition and stitch it together on the damaged part.
• Tissue expansion – the surgeons stretch the skin tissues surrounding the damaged area to help in growth. They then use the skin in repairing the affected area.
Plastic Surgery versus Cosmetic Surgery
The types of plastic surgeries include cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries. Cosmetic surgery is the elective and non-essential surgery that patients seek to improve their aesthetic appearance. Reconstructive surgery, on the other hand, corrects dysfunctional parts of the body due to congenital disabilities or other medical problems that develop later in life. The most common cosmetic surgery procedures include face and body contouring, skin rejuvenation, breast enhancements, as well as skin and facial rejuvenations. The reconstructive type of surgery has the following procedures: hand surgery, burn repairs, revision of scars, breast reconstruction, and repair of at-birth defects. Make sure to check out Plastic Surgery Toronto for more information.
Image Credit: TotalBeauty